In a recent informal meeting of KDE users in Seattle, Andrew Lake from the KDE Visual Design Group gave me some ideas he had for KDE Connect. Since I think that we all have a different vision and different ideas that are possible to implement on top of KDE Connect, I decided to write this post asking for your ideas, in some kind of community brainstorming.
Also, since the last time I made a post about possible features for KDE Connect, a lot of them have been implemented or are work in progress, so I hope this post achieves the same effect :)
Here is my personal list of possible features:
- Plugin for power management (sleep, shut down, etc).
- “Find my phone” plugin, that makes your phone ring even if it is silenced.
- Add media controls from the Android lock screen.
- Plugin to keep your computer unlocked while phone is reachable.
- Use the phone as a location provider for the desktop.
- Akonady resources sync with Android (contacts, calendar…).
- Plugin to print from your phone to your computer’s printer.
- Add support for drag’n drop for touchpad plugin.
- Port to other desktops and platforms: Gnome, Unity, MacOS, Windows…
- Publish and maintain the iOS port that Yang Qiao begun this GSOC (any iPhone user around?)
And here is some stuff is already being worked on:
- Answer SMS from the desktop (by David Edmunson).
- Pair with a specific IP address or hostname (by Achilleas Koutsou).
Now it’s your time to come up with more ideas in the comments! And of course feel free to give your opinion/enhance the ideas on my list.
Update: As Aleix Pol suggested, I created a todo.kde.org for KDE Connect that I will be updating with the ideas that come up in the comments.